I'm watching BET (Black Entertainment Television) and I was thinking that perhaps a funny show (Jamie Foxx, The Wayans Bros) would be on. What I find however, is the single most blasphemous infomercial I had ever seen. And I'm not even one of those hardcore extremist Christians.
Miracle Manna Bread. Some "reverend" guy is selling Miracle Manna Bread. It is supposedly baked in a 200 year old oven from the "Holy Land." Wherever the hell that is. But that's not the most offensive part. This idiot has obviously paid certain people in his televangilism audience to testify of the almighty power of this Miracle Manna that looks suspiciously like Jewish matzo.
Anyway, these people claim that God has magically blessed them with jobs and ridiculous amounts of money. The guy, excuse me "Reverend Peter," confidently assures the viewers that if they partake of this Miracle Manna that God will make a deposit of no less than $1,000 into their bank account. So obviously if you don't have a bank account, God doesn't recognize, love or intend to bless you. Moving on...
Peter then goes on to make stereotypical generalizations in some half-assed attempt to deceive the viewers that he has some kind of bullshit mystical prophetic healing powers. "You're a man and you've just lost your job!" "You're a single mother and your two daughters are in distress!" Any idiot can google 'african american community' and figure out that both the unemployment rate among black men, the ratio of single parents to married couples are alarmingly high.
I don't know when God does his smitings, but I don't think it's a far stretch to assume that this guy is toward the top of the list.
And as if my intelligence and racial demographic hasn't been insulted enough, the program following his has just come on as I'm typing this. And this guy is selling a Miracle Prayer Cloth.
*sigh* And it just had to be on BET. How embarrassing...
-Ryo-
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment